We follow the portion approach to P90X and therefore I create my own recipes for our meals. Although we eat pretty basic breakfast and lunches, we go big at dinner. Here are some of our favorite recipes that are Phase 2 safe (and also can be used for Phase 1 as well). All recipes are for two people – Level 1 and Level 3.
Salmon with Mango Salsa & Mushroom & Spinach Quinoa
For the Salmon:
- 18 ounces fresh salmon
- ¾ cup tomato, ¾ cup cucumber, 1 ripe mango
- 1 lemon
Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Cut lemon in half and squeeze ½ lemon over the salmon and sprinkled with salt. Cook salmon, uncovered, in a baking pan for 15 minutes/pound (for 18 ounces, 20 minutes) or until the center is fully cooked (check with a fork).
Meanwhile, chop tomato, cucumber and mango and combine in a bowl. Squeeze the remaining lemon over the mixture (to taste). When finished, cover the salmon with the mixture.
For the Spinach Quinoa:
- ½ cup dry organic quinoa
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms & ½ cup chopped onion
- Italian seasoning & salt
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup organic chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet and add onions, mushrooms, garlic seasoned with Italian seasoning and salt. Sauté until vegetables are soft. Add ½ cup quinoa and sauté until it begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat and simmer for 13 minutes. Stir in spinach and continue cooking until spinach is cooked and broth has fully been absorbed. Serving size = 1 cup/person.
Meanwhile, steam asparagus for 10 minutes and serve with quinoa and salmon.
Portions: Salmon – 2 protein (6 oz, Level 1) or 4 protein (12 oz, Level 3), ½ fruit, ½ vegetable; Quinoa – 1 carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, ½ fat; Asparagus – 1 vegetable.
Calories: ~725 (salmon has 150 calories/3 oz) Level 1, ~1,025 Level 3.
Mediterranean Chicken Pitas with Goat Cheese Salad
- 18 ounces chicken (6 for Level , 12 for Level 2)
- Italian seasoning & salt
- Whole wheat pita pockets (ours have 160 calories/pita)
- Sliced cucumber, red peppers, red onion, tomato (as much as you prefer)
- ½ oz feta cheese (70 calories/ounce)
- ½ oz goat cheese (70 calories/ounce)
- 4 tbsp Trader Joe’s Tzatziki Sauce (15 calories/tbsp)
- 2 tbsp Trader Joe’s fat free balsamic vinaigrette (25 calories/2 tbsp)
- Mixed greens
Coat chicken in Italian seasoning and sprinkle with salt and cook over medium heat until fully cooked. Meanwhile, prepare salad by mixing greens with ¾ vegetables and goat cheese. Toss with the balsamic vinaigrette. Once the chicken is ready, serve in the pita (2 pitas for Level 3) with feta, tzatziki sauce, and remaining vegetables.
Portions: 2 protein or 4 protein (Levels 1 and 3), ¾ carbohydrate or 1.5 carbohydrate (Levels 1 and 3), 3/4 dairy, 1 condiment, 2 vegetable.
Calories: ~575 (Level 1) or ~925 (Level 3)
Chicken Sausage Breakfast Burrito
- 2 Trader Joe’s chicken sausage (look for 100 calorie sausages – sun dried tomato flavor was used here), sliced
- ½ cup Mushroom, ¼ cup onion and 1 cup fresh spinach, to taste
- 12 egg whites (or 1 ½ cup egg white substitute)
- 2 whole wheat tortillas or wraps (we use Mission whole wheat wraps because they tend to stay together well)
- 6 oz avocado (you can split this if you’d like to only have ½ fat per serving)
- Tomato & red onion, for guacamole
- Salt & Pepper
In one pan, sauté mushroom, onion and fresh spinach together on medium heat (you can vary the portions here according to your taste but watch out – the spinach shrinks significantly). Once the vegetables have shrunk down, add the sliced chicken sausage and warm.
Right after you start the vegetables, turn on another pan and cook the egg whites. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cut and mash the avocado and mix with your favorite guacamole ingredients. I make mine with chopped tomato and red onion and season it with Lawry’s salt (trust me I’ve gotten rave reviews over this simple recipe!).
When both the eggs and meat/vegetables are finished, warm the tortillas in a clean frying pan for 15-20 seconds, one at a time. Fill the tortillas with eggs, chicken sausage, vegetables, guacamole and salsa and enjoy!
Portions: 2 proteins, 1 carbohydrate, 1 fat, ½ vegetable
Italian Chicken Pasta
- 18 ounces chicken (6 oz level 1 or 12 oz level 3)
- 2 cups whole wheat pasta (uncooked)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (find one that has 50 calories per ½ cup)
- Mushrooms, white onion, red pepper and garlic, chopped
- Frozen or fresh broccoli, squash, carrots (or side vegetable of choice)
- ¼ tbsp olive oil
Cut chicken into bite size pieces and cover in Italian seasoning and sprinkle with salt. Cook over medium heat until finished. In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the package directions. In a sauté pan, sauté onions, mushrooms, peppers and garlic with olive oil. Once the pasta and chicken is nearly done, add the pasta sauce to the vegetables. Serve sauce mixture and chicken over the pasta. Add side vegetable if desired.
Portions: 2 protein or 4 protein (Levels 1 or 3), 1 carbohydrate, 2 vegetables, 1/8 fat,
Calories: 515 (Level 1) or 715 (Level 3)