With just less than 4 weeks between me and a weekend of shenanigans in scantily clad outfits with 8 of my closest friends, it’s go time. The weekend of July 19-21 is my bachelorette party in Vegas which includes a full day of bikini wearing, cocktail sipping and dancing at the pool. Clearly, I want to feel good in my bikini and I’ve waited long enough to start an official regime to get myself feeling confident and fabulous that day.
Lately, there has been a little too much of this:
And not enough of this:
In general, I’m all about moderation which is why I don’t follow a strict vegan diet, but rather a “mostly plant based” one. I enjoy alcohol, pizza, and dessert and having a good time, but post-marathon I’ve been consuming a little more than necessary of these treats. Totally fine, but now that the bachelorette is just weeks away, those couple pounds I’ve put on need to go.
While the nutrition side has been suffering a bit (don’t get me wrong, I still eat mostly vegan and healthy the majority of the time), my workouts have still been going strong. Since the marathon I’ve incorporated strength training at a minimum of three times a week as well as continued to run. As of last week, I picked up swimming and biking as well. I know that perhaps one pound of the few I’ve gained are muscle, since I have seen a serious increase in my strength (particularly upper body) since starting this regime.
For these final 4 weeks, I wanted to pick up the volume/intensity of my workouts and also eat much more clean. The plan includes triathlon training because 1 week after my bachelorette I’m racing the Solana Beach Sprint Triathlon. Here’s the plan:
- Eat a clean diet. Eat plenty of fruits, veggies, grains, nuts and healthy fats. Dessert rarely (1x/week max), only 1 cup of coffee a day, no pizza or french fries, and no more dips into the peanut butter pretzels or candy jar at work. Other than the temptations from the bowl of chocolaty goodness at work, my weekday meals are probably considered insanely healthy to most. It’s really the weekends and occasional pitcher and pizza kind of nights that throw me off.
- Little to no Alcohol. Luckily Mike is on board with this one – we’re going to try to not drink much if at all for the next 4 weeks (5 for him since that is the race). That definitely means no pitchers of beer!
- Do Reformer Pilates Three Times a Week. I recently purchased the Summer Special from Club Pilates for 12 sessions in Encinitas which gives me three classes a week for the next four weeks. My first class was yesterday and I loved it!There will be a blog post on this soon, but if you are unfamiliar, Reformer Pilates is the pilates classes with the crazy torture device looking machines that work every inch of your core with every move. It is more strength based than barre classes since you are using actual resistance, which is why I picked it for my 4 week challenge.
- Run 3-4 Times a Week. Starting last week Asia, Jeremy, Mike and I have been running up Torrey Pines on Tuesday nights. I’ve also been running at the weekly Movin Shoes group runs and then at least one more run on my own.
- Ride or Spin at Least Two Times a Week. I’m training for the Solana Beach triathlon and starting last week, I’m back in the saddle. These rides don’t have to be long (so far none have been over an hour), but they are necessary to get me in shape for the race.
- Swim at Least Once a Week. Luckily Mike’s work has group swims because otherwise I might not swim at all before Solana Beach. Last Saturday I swam 1,000 yards in Coronado Bay as part of a practice triathlon with his work and tonight we have another group swim planned.
- Record Measurements and Take Before and After Photos. This will help me stay accountable. I will share results here!
- Post Weekly Training Logs and Honest Review of my Nutrition on the Blog. Again, this will help me stay accountable.
I’m mid-way through Day 3 and I feel better already. The cleaner I eat, the more eating junk seems to throw me in a funk. Same goes for alcohol – it’s such a fun way to relax but the effects aren’t always pretty. It’s time to get bikini ready!!!
Do you do anything special to get in shape before a big vacation or event? What has worked for you?