Happy Tuesday! Sorry for the crickets over here – it’s been a whirlwind of a few weeks. More on that later! I hope you had a wonderful 3 day weekend. I definitely did. While I tend to work a little bit most weekends, I took the most of the weekend off and enjoyed extra family time and even a couple naps! Mike and I went to the UC Davis vs. San Diego State season opener football game on Saturday (he’s a UCD alum) and we babysat our niece Molly on Friday night for the first time (she’s nearly 3 months already!). We had a family dinner on Sunday night and went to the beach Monday.
When I did Shift Shop back in July I created these turkey taco bowls and loved them (these would only be allowed in week 1, as legumes are eliminated in week 2, but you could just skip the black beans). They are really delicious, pretty easy to put together, and you can make multiple meals at once. When I made them I created 3 meals from these ingredients (I think I had some leftover turkey) but based on what portions you do, you could make more or less. If your’e in the lowest bracket, you could easily make 4 bowls from this and they are also 21 Day Fix approved.
Speaking of Shift Shop and 21 Day Fix, my next 3 week virtual accountability group starts September 18th! You’ll complete a fitness (30 minute a day average) and nutrition program along with support from me and your fellow challengers. It’s always a ton of fun! Spots will be full by the end of the week, so be sure to contact me for more info and/or to sign up!
Turkey Taco Bowls
- 1.5 pounds lean ground turkey
- Taco seasoning (I use Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 zucchini
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups broccoli
- 3/4 avocado
- Salsa of choice
- I’m a multi-tasker, even when it comes to cooking: Get out two large sauté pans. Brown the turkey and add the taco seasoning once it’s nearly cooked through and no pink remains. Meanwhile in the other pan sauté the olive oil with the onion, zucchini and bell peppers until the veggies are soft (you could also add kale or spinach to this).
- Microwave the sweet potatoes until they are soft and cut into cubes (3 minutes or so).
- Steam the broccoli.
- Once everything is ready, portion them out using your color-coded containers: 1-2 red containers of turkey (0.75-1.5 cup), 1 yellow container sweet potato (1/2 cup), 1 yellow container black beans (1/2 cup), 1 green container of the sautéed veggies (1 cup), and 1 green container of broccoli (1 cup). Serve with 1/4 avocado (blue container) and salsa!
21 DAY FIX/SHIFT SHOP CONTAINER COUNT (PER BOWL):
- 1 or 2 red (depending on how much turkey you use), 2 yellow, 2 green, 1 blue, 1 tsp
Do you like to make meals ahead of time or do you cook as you go? What’s your favorite make-ahead meal?