July was my first month in the 3rd trimester and it went better than expected when it comes to workouts! I’ve had energy to do morning workouts (ie 5:30 AM wake-up call!) about 3 days a week on average and was able to continue running, although slowly and with more walk breaks. I also started doing more hikes, particularly at Torrey Pines after work with either Brooke or Asia, a couple of which were nearly 2 hour/6 mile after work hikes! I really feel my best while hiking and doing yoga, so I’m sure as things get a harder (which I can tell is starting to happen) those will be my go-to workouts.
My goals for July were to go to yoga 2x/week (check!), do my squat challenge + 100 squats a day (check!) and to do my pelvic floor/birth exercises (including relaxation) whenever possible (mostly check – I really should be doing more!). I didn’t set super high goals for myself because I wanted to listen to my body. Luckily, my body has been cooperating and I’m still feeling good. The one thing that I’ve noticed is changing in the last few weeks is that I’m having a harder time doing yoga poses that involve folding over/bending forward. I think the baby has taken up 100% of the room inside my body now and is pressing on my lungs and stomach. That probably means that my belly is about to grow outwards faster than ever now that it’s officially ran out of room inside. I’m also noticing I’m getting winded more easily doing things like walking up stairs or doing the laundry!
Running is definitely becoming more difficult but it also depends on the day. I am stubborn and love running too much to quit but every time I run I say it could be my last. A couple of weeks ago I had a run where after only 1.5 minutes (I was wearing my Garmin) I really felt like walking! So I did…and ended up walking quite a bit of the run, coaxing myself to run to landmarks to get through it. But last Wednesday I did the same run and I felt way better and barely took any walk breaks! At one point I was even running in the 10 min/mile range which is way faster than I’ve been able to run in a while. One thing is for sure is that the day after a run, my body is way more tired and tight than it is after other workouts. At some point soon running will have to stop but for now, I keep holding on hope for just one more run.
- 9 Yoga Classes (met my goal of 2x/week)
- 9 Xtend Barre Classes
- 17.1 miles run (5 runs total)
- 13 hours of walking/hiking (includes 4 hikes at Torrey Pines)
- 1 Spin Class (Rhythm and Power just hasn’t been working out w/ my schedule since they dropped Thursday evening classes but I plan to go back!).
- 5,595 squats thanks to my continuation of the Squat Challenge
- Yoga 2-3x/week. I feel my best while and after practicing yoga and I want to continue that feeling!
- Squat Challenge + 50 extra/day (4,445 squats a day). I’m bringing this goal down a little because toward it end it was starting to get so daunting I was avoiding it them all together!
- Relaxation practice at a minimum 4x/week.
- Continue to do something active almost every day
What is one of your goals for August?