June was probably one of the best months of my pregnancy for workouts. I’m not actually sure I did any more workouts than in the early months, but I felt great doing them which made a big difference. It wasn’t the best month for running, as that dramatically slowed, but I felt great the majority of the time and was able to get in a lot of quality workouts, mostly thanks to the wonderful Wildfire!
This month I discovered spin classes at Rhythm and Power which have been a great substitute for running and tried out two new yoga studios. I also did a couple of pre-natal yoga workouts using DoYogaWithMe.com and spent a lot of time walking and squatting! I am seeing some more muscle definition in my arms, legs and butt, which is always great to see. It’s safe to say that the combination of the extra fat thanks to pregnancy and all these squats, my flat runners butt is gone!
Let’s see how I did with June goals:
- Walk at Least 10,000 Steps a Day. My Pivotal Living band died on me within like 1 day of writing this goal so I stopped counting. But it’s safe to say I did get in 10,000 steps a day on average based on the fact that I spent 13 hours this month walking and I ran 18 miles (and that’s just the time I spent on a “walk” or run, not including time spent on my feet of course). Crazy to think I used to run 18 miles in one day….
- Do pelvic floor exercises 1x/week. I actually realized after writing this goal that the DVD I bought called “Hab It” is meant for postpartum, but they do offer online videos for pregnancy. I did the online video once and then we started our Bradley Method class which gave us other exercises to prepare for birth (more on that later) and I switched to doing those instead.
- Do Yoga 2x/week. I was so close to this goal, with 7 yoga sessions in the month, averaging almost 2 a week.
- Complete the 30 Day Squat Challenge. CHECK! I squatted 3,295 times in June, which doesn’t include the squats I did in yoga (chair) and barre classes.
- 7 Yoga Classes
- 8 Xtend Barre Classes
- 5 Spin Classes (Rhythm and Power)
- 6 runs, totaling 18 miles
- 12 walks/hikes, totaling 13 hours of walking
- Squat Challenge – 3,295 squats!
Other Exercises: Pelvic Floor/Child Birth Exercises (more on this later)
Overall I was really happy with how June played out. I’m going to continue with the birth and pregnancy focused workouts in July and then see what else I feel up for on top of that. I’m upping the anty in July and doing the squat challenge again but this time I’m adding 100 squats a day. I’ll start at 150 squats and work my way to 350!
- Yoga 2x/week
- Squat Challenge + 100/day (5,595 squats)
- Pevlic Floor/Birth Exercises (Including Relaxation) whenever possible
I plan to continue to take spin classes, go to barre and to run when it feels good. However, I don’t want to set any goals around those things because I have no idea how my body will feel day to day. By the end of July I’ll be 32 weeks pregnant!
Wildfire Life Giveaway!
Wildfire Life (formerly known as Fitn) has offered to let me giveaway 5 FREE 2 month memberships! If you aren’t familiar with Wildfire, you can learn more about it via my previous blog posts (here and here) and their website (here). As a quick recap, Wildfire life is a platform that allows you to attend classes at a massive list of fitness studios in San Diego and Orange County (LA coming soon!) all under one membership. And if you win the giveaway, that membership is 100% free for two months! I can’t say enough great things about Wildfire – it has added so much flexibility and fun into my workout schedule. And one of the best parts of Wildfire is you can literally attend an unlimited number of classes – you aren’t limited to a certain number per month or even per day.
To enter, check out Wildfire’s website and comment on this blog post with which workout studio you’d try first (make sure you include your email address on the form). The giveaway is open to anyone, but for now Wildfire only services San Diego and OC counties. I’ll draw a winner next Wednesday, July 8th.