One of the triathlon companies I “like” on Facebook posted an interesting question the other day “Which races are on your bucket list?”
It got me thinking about which races I want to complete in my lifetime. Here are a few races I have my eye on:
1) Obviously – Boston Marathon. I want to qualify for this race and spend a glorious long weekend in Boston (never been there) living it up and enjoying every second of this race. I am hoping to qualify in 2013 and run in the 2014 race.
2) Nashville Rock n Roll Marathon (or Half). I LOVE country music (can I get a yeehaw!?) and I have always wanted to visit Nashville. This would be an awesome what to explore the city! I’m hoping to make it out there to race in 2013 or 2014.
3) Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon. I’m actually not positive I’ll ever do this one but it sounds awesome! You swim 1 .5 miles from Alcatraz Island to the mainland, bike 18 miles through Golden Gate National Park, and run 8 miles to the Marina Green! The problem is that San Francisco is either a very long drive or a plane ride away (which means bike shipping), I heard the water is really cold, and the race fee is a steep for a non long-course triathlon ($400). Also, there is a lottery to even be able to register.
4) Rome Marathon. I would love to do an international marathon and what better one than to run down the streets of Rome!? It would be awesome to feel like Tom Hanks in Angels and Demons and run from basilica to basilica. Although I won’t be saving lives in the process like Tom, it’d still be fun to run among the gorgeous Roman architecture. I’ve been to Rome once but only for 2 days, and I would love to go back with Mike. Maybe we’ll make a vacation out of it one day. What a better place to carbo-load than the capital of pasta and gelato!?
5) WildFlower Triathlon (70.3 or Olympic) This is a spring triathlon with a very “hippy” vibe. Everyone camps out and hangs out for a weekend while they swim/bike/run. I’ve heard nothing but great things and would love to race here.
No, Kona isn’t on this list. I’m not sure if I will ever do a 2nd Ironman, let alone put in the training required to qualify for Kona. For now, this isn’t on my to-do list. Although I’m not promising that won’t change!
Which races are you on your Race Bucket List?