I’m a lucky runner and I recognize this. I have beautiful coastal paths and trails to run on. I have a lot of running friends and meet up with a running group. I don’t have to run alone often and when I do, I have beautiful scenery to take in and usually a podcast I’m excited to listen to. On occasion, I do enjoy a peaceful, solo, headphone free run as well.
I love running, but I asked myself this question the other day – If I had to run on residential neighborhoods alone all the time, would I still run!? What if running meant I had to wake up at 4:30 AM most days to get a run in? I honestly wasn’t sure if I’m that “hardcore.” This gave me the idea to come up with a fun quiz that rates how hardcore of a runner someone is based on their habits and preferences. This is all in fun – I believe anyone who spends time pounding the pavement is a true runner, but let’s be honest, we all know that “super hardcore runner” that we compare ourselves to. In fact, you might consider me one. I’ll share my quiz results with you at the end!
QUIZ! How Hardcore of a Runner Are You?
Get out a piece of paper or a note in your phone and answer the quiz questions below TRUE or FALSE. I know it’s hard to give an answer one way or another one some of these, but do your best and if you’re leaning one way, pick that option.
- I regularly do speed work, tempo runs and/or hill repeats.
- I have at least 3 races on my schedule right now.
- I make A, B, and C goals for my races.
- I would still run regularly even if I could never run a race again.
- If I have an important run to do and did not have access to a treadmill, I’d still run outdoors even if it was raining when I started the run (not sprinkling, really raining – your shoes would be soggy).
- If I had a speed workout planned with friends and they canceled on me, I would still do the workout on my own.
- If the only places I could ever run was the same loop through my neighborhood or on the treadmill, I’d still run regularly.
- I almost always run while on vacation.
- I have run an important race while sick (or would).
- If running usually meant I had to wake up at before 5 a.m. to run in the dark, I would still be a runner.
SCORE YOURSELF – How Hardcore are You?
Add up all the TRUEs you wrote down and find the range that you fall in below.
1-3: The Occasional Jogger. You don’t place a lot of importance on racing and enjoy to go out for a run on occasion for the pure joy of it.
4-7: The Fair-Weather Runner. You are serious about running, but it’s not your life. When it’s inconvenient you may choose sleep or another form of exercise over running.
8-10: Hardcore Runner. Running is a top priority in your life and you can’t imagine what it would be like if you didn’t run. Running is your favorite type of exercise and everyone you know understands how important running is to you.
My score?! A 5! Surprised?
So, how’d you score!? What other hardcore runner attributes would you have added to the quiz?
P.S. You can download my three favorite healthy recipes on my homepage here!