In my 10 years of training for half and full marathons, I have always incorporate cross training and strength training into my routine. *Knock on wood* I have never been injured. Incorporating workouts outside of running has helped me stay injury free, boosted my fitness, built strong muscles, and helps me avoid boredom.
I’ve done yoga, reformer pilates, barre…..but what consistently I’ve come back to, and what has worked BEST for me as a busy mom of three, is Beachbody on Demand. For those who don’t know, Beachbody on Demand is the “Netflix of Fitness” – you can stream hundreds of workouts from your laptop, phone, AppleTV, Roku, Firestick… for a price LOWER than Netflix!). I’m able to get out of the house for my runs, but do my cross training at home. It’s been the perfect balance for me and Beachbody programs have helped me get in the best shape of my life.
Beachbody on Demand has HUNDREDS of workouts available and in the past 8 years of combining Beachbody programs with running, I’ve done well over a hundred myself! I have several that I would consider to be favorites and that are especially great for runners – (LIIFT4, 21 Day Fix and Transform:20 top my list for favorite Beachbody programs to mix with running). I’ve trained for several marathons and half marathons while doing Beachbody workouts – sometimes completing full program start to finish, more often completing a modified version of a program, or sometimes just picking and choosing 2-3 of my favorite workouts each week.
While I highly recommend and encourage my clients to choose just ONE workout program and commit to it, while marathon training or in certain seasons of life or training, you may just want to work in a few Beachbody on Demand workouts per week, without the commitment of a full program (and that’s ok too!).
The Best Beachbody on Demand Workouts for Runners
If that’s where you’re at with your running right now, check out my 5 favorite Beachbody workouts for runners:
- A Little Obsessed Booty (30 minutes) or A Little More Obsessed Booty (45 minutes). Runners are notorious for having an imbalance between quad strength and glute/hamstring strength. Adding a booty-only workout to your routine at least every other week (ideally weekly) can help strengthen those glutes and help you run even faster!
- 21 Day Fix Extreme Dirty 30 (30 minutes). This is an incredible full body strength training workout that is SUPER efficient.
- Beachbody Yoga Studio Yoga for Weekend Warriors with Ted (32 minutes). While there is actually a “Yoga for Runners” yoga video, I prefer the weekend warriors flow under the “yoga for athletes” section of the Beachbody Yoga Studio.
- Shift Shop: Strength 35 (35 minutes). Another great full body strength workout and I love Chris Downing’s positivity.
- Core de Force Core on the Floor (5 minutes). This is a GREAT 5 minute plank series that can be added to the end of any workout or any run! I recommend doing it 3 days a week and challenging yourself to working toward staying in the plank for the entire workout.
Beachbody on Demand For Marathoners and Half Marathoners
You don’t have to do a full program to get the benefit of your Beachbody on Demand membership. For full marathoners, I recommend adding 2 strength and 1 yoga workout per week to your training schedule (NO strength the week of the race). For half marathoners, depending on your mileage, you could do a modified version of a program (or LIIFT4 or even Transform:20 without modification, I’ve done both).
For both marathoners and half marathoners, I recommend doing a full program during your off season to build muscle and lean out before the higher mileage starts. My favorite program for this would be 80 Day Obsession – though it’s an intense program, it would really build a strong base for those miles to come!
Beachbody Challenge Groups For Runners
I run monthly virtual accountability groups, aka challenge groups for women using Beachbody on Demand. These groups are open to anyone using Beachbody on Demand, not just those doing a full program. If you’re a runner who wants support through your training and cross training using Beachbody on Demand, please reach out and join my next accountability group (if you’re already signed up for BOD, all I ask if that you switch to me as your coach, unless you’re already working with one)!
The next group starts June 17th – sign ups close this Sunday, June 16th. Please fill out the form below to get more info and signed up! Packages are $20 off in June!