This summer has been FUN and I’m feeling ready for a shift in focus toward better nutrition. I am planning to do a (modified version) of the 4 Week Gut Protocol starting on September 12th. I will be training for a marathon while doing this program.
My 4 Week Gut Protocol and Running Results
The first time I did 4 Week Gut Protocol, I truly went all in. 4 Week Gut Protocol & 4 Weeks for Every Body was my #1 priority, even over my running. I was training for a half marathon but the race itself wasn’t my main goal at the time. I was part o the Beachbody coach test group so I really wanted to take the program as seriously as possible.
I had incredible results from 4 Week Gut Protocol. I lost 8 pounds & 11 inches. I was sleeping better. I had more energy throughout the day. I ran my half marathon 3 minutes faster than a half marathon I did just 2 months prior!
After I finished, I continued with many of the same habits. I did another round (modified) with my virtual accountability group and maintained my weight even after going on a few vacations.
However, this summer, I went on 3 big trips and I started to build my mileage for the marathon. I started paying less attention to the quality of my food and due to the travel, ate out and drank a lot. I noticed that my running wasn’t feeling that great & that I wasn’t sleeping well.
After our August family vacation, I started eating better again. I ate less sugar & starting making things like the 4 Week Gut Protocol energy balls to support my running. I immediately noticed a boost in my running fitness and recovery time! I knew that other women were probably feeling the same way over the summer and decided to do 4 Week Gut Protocol again in September and help others through it too!
Modifications I’m Making to 4 Week Gut Protocol For Running
The first time I did 4 Week Gut Protocol with running, I made modifications to ensure I was getting enough food to support my training. I ended up running 3 minutes faster in my half marathon after doing 4 Week Gut Protocol.
I shared many of my 4 week gut protocol and running modifications via my YouTube videos. I also created a 4 Week Gut Protocol for Runners Guide that I share with the women who join my accountability groups.
Here’s What I’m Doing for 4 Week Gut Protocol & Marathon Training
My marathon is November 12th. I plan to start 4 Week Gut Protocol with modification on September 12th and then keep up the healthy habits leading into my marathon.
Things I WILL be doing from 4 Week Gut Protocol While Running & Marathon Training, starting September 12th:
- 6 Servings of Veggies & limiting to 2 animal proteins a day.
- Using the Gut Protocol supplements Revitalize and Optimize.
- Eating 30 different plants/week.
- Eating fermented foods 3x/week at least. (I like Kimchi)
- Eating from the food lists.
Things I Will NOT be doing for this round of 4 Week Gut Protocol with Marathon Training:
- Measuring food. I won’t be measuring my portion sizes.
- Tracking added sugar. While I’ll still be skipping desserts and checking labels for added sugars, I will NOT be sticking to the 10g added sugar/day in order to fuel my runs & workout. I’ll still be using gels, sports drinks (I use Hydrate) & my post workout recovery drink (Recover). I won’t worry about the sugar from the honey or chocolate chips in my gut friendly energy balls or anything like that either.
- Completely giving up alcohol. Last time I did not drink alcohol the entire time and this time I am making a plan to have alcohol 1x/week.
- Giving up Coffee. I still plan to have 1 cup/coffee a day using a lower sugar, non dairy creamer (Nut pods).
So will I be following 4 Week Gut Protocol exactly as Autumn Calabrese intended? No. But will I get a lot of the benefits – including more diversity in my gut biome, better sleep, better recovery, overall higher quality nutrition, likely a few pounds lost? YES!
Tour of 4 Week Gut Protocol Food Lists, Meal Plans and Videos
Wondering what kind of meal plans and recipes you get with 4 Week Gut Protocol? Watch this video to get a better idea of how 4 Week Gut Protocol works and what kind of resources and meal planning tools you get! I also share some of the meals I ate while running and doing 4 Week Gut Protocol.
4 Week Gut Protocol BOD Group – September 12th!
Whether you’re a runner who wants to fuel better or a woman who wants to do 4 Week Gut Protocol with the support of someone who has done it before, I’m inviting you to join me for our September 12th Gut Protocol “Fall Fueling Focus” BOD Group. To get pricing and enrollment info, fill out the form on this page.